Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

International Divorce

A divorce through the Singapore Family Justice Courts may be available to you if you are living outside Singapore, or are living in Singapore but originally from another country. At Yeo Law we call this an Expat Divorce.

You may need an expat divorce:

  • if you are originally from Singapore but currently live in another part of the world and want to use the Singapore Family Justice Courts to obtain a divorce;
  • if your marriage took place abroad;
  • if you have lived outside Singapore for a number of years, have only recently returned and want to divorce here;
  • if you and / or your spouse are from outside Singapore, have made your home in Singapore for the past three years and choose to divorce here;
  • if your spouse lives outside Singapore and there may be issues in tracing them or there is a debate about where to get divorced.

There may be other circumstances where an Expat Divorce or international divorce law applies. There are some complex legal issues to consider so it always best to take advice from a lawyer experienced in issues relating to jurisdiction, enforceability of Court Orders and international relocation of children.

Am I eligible to divorce under Singapore’s Women’s Charter?

We have to find out where you and your spouse are ‘domiciled’ and where you normally live before deciding whether you qualify to divorce in Singapore.

Domicile is a legal concept used to link an individual with a particular legal system. It takes into account where you were born as well as where you are living now and your intentions for the future. Our lawyers at Yeo Law will be able to advise you, whether you are eligible for a divorce through the Singapore Family Justice Courts. Please call us at 62203440 for an appointment.

Why divorce through the Singapore Family Justice Courts?

Using the Singapore legal system is often much quicker, cheaper and more effective than attempting to use the courts in other countries, especially if you own a HDB flat or have property in Singapore. But you have to make your choice carefully, as the jurisdiction of courts in different countries tend to be exclusive. For example, if you make an application for divorce in the Singapore Family Justice Courts and then move to another country, you may be prevented from re-filing an application for divorce in the country to which you have moved.

At Yeo Law, we have a detailed case assessment which we can use to ensure you receive the best possible advice.

Limitations of the Singapore Family Justice Courts

There are some limitations with regard to enforcement of Orders given by the Singapore court system, such as Orders for the sale of property outside Singapore. Whether the Order can be enforced depends on whether it is capable of being enforced in the country in which it is held. This is a complex area of the law and you should seek advice from the outset to determine the best ways that such property can be dealt with.

Fixed fee Expat Divorce

Yeo Law offers a special fixed price divorce service for an Expat Divorce. We have wide experience in handling Expat Divorces from start to finish, including preparing all necessary paperwork, filing the necessary applications in Court and advising on issues of jurisdiction.

We can also advise on post-divorce matters. Some examples include “de-registering” a divorce in Malaysia, seeking the recognition of a Singapore Court Order in the Philippines where the Court system only allows for nullity, or resealing of a Singapore Court Order in the District Courts in China.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.