Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

International Divorce FAQ

International Divorce Questions Answered

In an increasingly mobile and borderless world, the Family Justice Courts in Singapore is seeing more applications by divorced parents who wish to relocate to another country with their child.

Q. I want to move to another country with my child; do I have to tell the child’s father?

A. If there is a Custody, Care and Control and Access Order in your favour in respect of the child concerned, you may take the child out of Singapore for a period of less than one month. If you want to relocate to another country permanently, you must either:

  • obtain the written consent of every person who has parental responsibility for the child; or,
  • apply to the Court for permission to do so.

Q. What must I do if an application to the Court is necessary?

A. You should see a family lawyer who will be able to give you detailed legal advice about your right to move your child out of jurisdiction, and the conditions and consequences of doing so. They will guide you through the steps of the application to ensure a successful outcome.


Q. What if I take my child out of the country without permission?

A. If you take a child out of Singapore without the agreement from everyone who has parental responsibility or the Court’s permission, you are potentially guilty of child abduction. The non-custodial parent or a person with parental responsibility may apply to the Court to have the child returned to Singapore.

If the country where the child has been taken to has signed the Hague Convention the child will be returned to their country of residence. If the country where the child was taken has not signed the Hague Convention then any application will be dealt with in that country’s Courts.

Cross-border cases are often technical and complex. If you suspect that your child may be in danger of being abducted, it is vital to act quickly to prevent the abduction from taking place. Call us at Yeo Law for a consultation. Our team of experienced and resourceful lawyers will to help you through the maze of issues and documents.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.