Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

Financial Settlements Advice FAQ

Financial Settlements Advice Questions Answered

Q. How much maintenance will I get from my ex-spouse?

A. Whether you get spousal maintenance and how much you get depends on a wide number of factors, including your age, the length of your marriage, the relative financial positions of you and your ex spouse, whether you are working, etc. It can be paid in a lump sum or periodically. In periodic maintenance the amount can be varied to take into consideration changed circumstances of the parties.

For more details of your likely entitlement to maintenance on divorce, please contact one of Yeo Law’s experienced and proactive lawyers at 62203400 to arrange a free initial 30 minute consultation.

Q. Are savings, CPF and the house split 50/50 in a divorce?

A. There is no set formula for working out financial settlements in a divorce, whether 50/50 or otherwise. Instead, many factors will need to be considered before all assets can be split – the age of the parties, length of marriage, each party’s financial contribution, needs of children of the marriage, fairness to both parties, the ability of the parties to earn in the future, etc.

Couples may reach an agreement between themselves, ask lawyers to negotiate on their behalf or apply to a judge to decide on the split. This is a specialist area of family law and talking to an experienced family lawyer can really help. Our lawyers at Yeo Law can help sort out your financial issues and help you to get the best outcome. Call us at 62203400 for a discussion.

Q. What if the marital home is not in my name?

A. In division of property upon divorce, all the assets of a marriage are considered no matter whose name they are in. The share of each spouse will depend on various factors such as length of the marriage, age of parties, each party’s financial and other contribution to the marriage, needs of children of the marriage, etc.

It is crucial that you take advice before finalising any arrangements. Your divorce solicitor can help protect your rights through legal means if necessary. Call 62203400 and speak to one of our divorce solicitors if you are worried about this.

Q. Can I change the locks to my house?

A. To prevent unnecessary disputes with your spouse, the general rule is that you should not change the locks on a jointly-owned property. However, if there is threat of violence or other circumstances providing a genuine reason for you to change your locks, then please go ahead but talk to a specialist divorce lawyer first.

Q. My ex spouse has a new partner, do I have to keep paying maintenance?

A. It depends on the terms set out in the Court Order. In certain situations, you may be able to apply for a variation to the Court Order to reflect the change of circumstances if you can prove to the Court how the changes in your life and your ex spouse’s life justify the variation. Take advantage of Yeo Law’s free 30 minute telephone consultation to understand your rights and options.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.