Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

Divorce & Finance FAQs

Divorce & finance questions answered

Q. How much maintenance will I get from my ex-spouse?

A. Whether you get spousal maintenance and how much you get depends on various factors, including the length of your marriage, whether or not you are working at the moment, and your age. It is possible in some cases to capitalise a maintenance claim so that it is paid as a lump sum instead of in monthly instalments.

For more details of your likely entitlement to maintenance on divorce, please contact one of our lawyers to arrange a free initial 30 minute consultation on 62203400.

Q. Are money, CPF and the house split 50/50 on divorce?

A. Many factors will need to be considered before a division of assets can be agreed – for example the needs of any children, fairness to both parties, the age of the parties, length of marriage and the ability of the parties to earn in the future.

There is no formula for financial settlements on divorce. Couples may reach an agreement between themselves, they may ask solicitors to negotiate on their behalf or ultimately allow a judge to decide. This really is a specialist area of family law and talking to an experienced family solicitor can really help. Call 62203400 and explore your options.

Q. What if the marital home is not in my name?

A. It almost certainly makes no difference, provided you’ve been married for a period of time. All the assets of a marriage are considered no matter the name they are in. BUT it is very important that you take advice before you even think about leaving the house as that will affect some important rights. Your divorce solicitor can protect them easily and cheaply by registering a notice against the deeds called a Caveat. Call 62203400and speak to one of our divorce solicitors if you are worried about this.

Q. Can I change the locks?

A. To prevent unnecessary disputes with your divorcing spouse, the general rule is that you should not change the locks on a jointly owned property as you are both entitled to have access. However, in the cases of physical abuse or other threats of violence on you or your children, we agree that you need to do something to protect yourself, your children and your property. If there is a genuine reason for you to change your locks, then please go ahead and do it but talk to a specialist divorce lawyer first.

Q. My ex-spouse has a new partner, do I have to keep paying maintenance?

A. Yes you have to do so in accordance to the terms set out in the Court Order. However, you may consider applying for a variation to the Court Order if there is a material change of circumstances. It can often be a case of needing to prove to the Court how the changes in your own life and your ex-spouse’s life that rendered the ordered maintenance to stop. Take advantage of our free 30 minute telephone consultation to explore your options.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.