Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

Divorce FAQs

Divorce Questions Answered

Q. How much does a divorce cost?

A. This will depend whether you are a Plaintiff or Defendant. At Yeo Law, we charge S$1,500.00 plus GST and Court fees for acting for the Plaintiff and S$500 plus GST for acting for the Defendant.

These figures assume that you both agree to divorce and that there are no disputes about the division of your finances or care for your children. Additional charges may apply if you need help to reach agreement in these matters.

Take advantage of our 30 minute telephone appointment to discuss your situation. Call 6220 3400 or request a call-back today.

More about divorce lawyer fees

Q. Can we separate formally without getting a divorce?

A. Yes. If you have decided to separate, but do not want to consider a divorce for the time being, a Deed of Separation or Deed of Financial Agreement in Contemplation of Divorce is strongly recommended.

Such an agreement sets out what you both agree should happen, during your separation, to joint assets and responsibilities. These include who should have the care of your children, what happens to your matrimonial home, etc. This will make sure that there are no ‘loose ends’ which can cause problems later. The Court can enforce all aspects of a Separation Agreement if necessary.

Q. Under what circumstances can I get a divorce?

A. If you have been married for more than three years and can prove the grounds required by law for divorce such as adultery, desertion, unreasonable behaviour or separation, you can apply for a divorce.

Q. Will I have to appear in court to get a divorce?

A. In the case of an uncontested divorce you will not be required to appear in Court. A Court appearance will normally only be necessary if you cannot agree a financial settlement and the case goes to a hearing or if you cannot agree the arrangements for looking after your children.

Q. How long does it take to get a divorce?

A. If you are both in agreement and the case is straightforward, a divorce will normally take between 4 and 6 months. The process of obtaining a divorce is explained in “How to get a divorce”.

Q. What if I don’t agree to the divorce?

A. If you don’t agree to a divorce action being filed against you by your spouse, you can object to it. This is known as contesting a divorce.

It is not uncommon for people to disagree with the reasons for divorce stated on the divorce application, though this rarely results in a fully contested divorce being dealt with in Court. It is more common for this to be sorted out in correspondence between the parties and their solicitors. The parties may seek to amend their reasons for divorce to both parties’ satisfaction. However, parties should bear in mind that the Family Justice Courts has the final say in pronouncing a divorce and should the contents be insufficient for the Court to allow the divorce, parties will have to refile the divorce application. To prevent such situation from occurring, speak to one of our specialist divorce lawyers at Yeo Law at 62203400. Our lawyers have many years’ experience and are very familiar with the ins and outs of the application process. We will help you put forward your most convincing case to get you the outcome you seek.

Q. What is ‘unreasonable behaviour’ in divorce?

A. Unreasonable behaviour is the most common of the facts used for demonstrating that a marriage has irretrievably broken down. It involves giving examples of behaviour that show that it is not reasonable for you to be expected to stay together and you are no longer able to live together as a result. Reasons can be as mild as refusing to spend time together or having no common interests.

Q. Does it matter what grounds are used for divorce?

A. Not really, although some of the grounds for divorce, such as desertion or separation, are time-reliant. Some people think that if adultery is used as the reason for divorce this somehow influences things like where the children will live or how assets are divided. This is rarely the case.

Q. Does it matter who starts the divorce?

A. There are a number of things to consider here:

Cost – the person who starts the divorce pays the Court fees. If you are in agreement about getting a divorce you may opt to share all of the costs involved, thereby taking away cost as a prohibiting factor.

Legal jurisdiction – If you or your partner are able to apply for a divorce in another country, that would be an important factor. This is because laws in different countries view circumstances differently and might apply different standards in, say, the custody of children or the payment of maintenance. In this situation, you might want to be the one to start the divorce proceedings in a jurisdiction that will give you the most favourable outcome. We can offer specialist advice in this area – call us at 62203400 today.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.