Specialist Divorce & Family Lawyer
Divorce in Singapore

Change of Name FAQ

Q. What is a Deed Poll and what does it do?

A. A Deed Poll is a document that allows you to change your name. With a Deed Poll, you can change your surname, add names, remove names or rearrange your existing names.

Q. Who can apply for a Deed Poll?

A. Any Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident above the age of 21 can apply to have a Deed Poll prepared.

Q. Is there any restriction to the name I can choose as my new name?

A. The ICA will reject names it deems to be vulgar or offensive or give the impression that you have been conferred an honourary title, such as “Sir”, “Lord” or “Datuk”.

Q. How many times can I change my name?

A. You can change your name as many times as you wish.

Q. I am a foreigner. Can I do a Deed Poll in Singapore?

A. It is possible for Deed Poll to be prepared for you in Singapore if you are a Permanent Resident for Singapore-related matters. It may be possible to effect a name change in Singapore even if you are not a Permanent Resident, but this will be subject to the laws of your country.

Generally, it would be advisable to check with your Embassy or Consulate Office in Singapore to determine whether the authority in your country will accept a name change made by Deed Poll in Singapore.


Fill Up the form below :

YEO & Associates LLC Pte Ltd.